- Name: Sistema Integral de Video Vigilancia de la Ciudad (Argentina)
- Area of Application: Policiamento
- What kind of AI according to the project's official information: Facial Recognition
- Goals: Detection, verification, identification, and arrest exclusively of people named in arrest warrants.
- How does it work according to the project's official information: In seven-tenths of a second, the face of that fugitive is reconstructed through a single database, provided by the Ministry of Justice of Argentina, cuenta Diego Santilli, Ministry of Justice and Security.
The faces are compared with those of a database provided by the National Registry of Convictions and Arrests (Co.Na.R.C., Consulta Nacional de Rebeldías y Capturas). If there is a match, the corresponding alerts are issued, both to the surveillance center and to the nearest police officers for their intervention. The alert includes personal data, basic information on the lawsuit, images of the person, and a map identifying the camera that detected them.
Buenos Aires officials clarified that it will be considered illegal to use this system to track people who were not previously listed in arrest warrants.
- Possible bias: Civil society representatives have already presented criticism based on discrimination caused by false positives.
- Public Institutions Involved: Ministerio de Seguridad
- Companies/Private Institutions Involved: Software purchased from a Russian company
- Related links with further information: