- Name: El Ojo (Argentina)
- Area of Application: Policing
- What kind of AI according to the project's official information: Machine learning
- Goals: “Identify, predict and prevent criminal, terrorist and fraudulent activities” through a “contextual and intuitive design that allows analysts to collate, analyze and visualize data from different sources in a short time”.
- How does it work according to the project's official information: The technology to “predict” crime is based on the sophisticated “i2 Analyst’s Notebook” systems provided by IBM, a predictive intelligence system that crosses thousands of variables and allows data to be analyzed and visualized in a short time.
The main objective of Area i2 is to produce valid and admissible evidence for court trials and to raise the rate of resolved cases, especially in complex and financial crimes. That is why IBM staff train local officials so that they, in turn, instruct prosecutors and justice assistants to consult the databases.
- Possible bias: Reinforce structural racism and biases of the criminal system, particularly against the black and other marginalized communities.
- Public Institutions Involved: Government of Rosario, province of Santa Fe
- Companies/Private Institutions Involved: IBM
- Other interesting facts: There were plans to use in software at least at:
- The municipality of Rio Negro: https://www.barilocheopina.com/noticias/2019/02/13/39903-narcotrafico-rio-negro-suma-un-avanzado-software-para-el-analisis-de- data
- The municipality of Santa Fe: https://www.lapoliticaonline.com/nota/107349-exclusivo-como-funciona-el-ojo-el-sistema-que-lanzo-santa-fe-para-predecir-los-delitos/
- The Superintendency of Criminal Intelligence: https://www.elcohetealaluna.com/la-bonaerense-retoma-las-riendas/
- Related links with further information: